The present swimming pool was formally opened on 17 July 1976 and has served the collegians very well. The most recent substantive repair was undertaken in 2013. A full assessment of the swimming pool was conducted in May this year and the experts concluded that it was not safe to continue with the present state without investing in its repairs.
An assessment of the swimming pool facilities around the country showed that alternative methods of upgrading to the swimming pool are priced competitively. It was decided that a full makeover is the way forward. It is estimated that RM450,000.00 will allow collegians to experience a brand-new pool by early 2022.
The following findings were observed by the MCKK Restoration Sub-committee during their assessment in May 2021:
- Pool is generally dirty and filled with sand and debris.
- Soil settlement and structural crack across the base of the pool caused water leakage from the pool.
- Broken and dislodged tiles throughout the pool.
- Eroded waterproofing layer.
- Damaged and corroded piping system.
- Broken / dislodged pool lighting.
- Main incoming water supply line is clogged and not flowing. Currently receiving water from the West Wing toilet.
- Stained and damaged drainage/filtration system.
- Three (3) out of four (4) pumps sets are broken and unusable.
- Manual chlorination system.
- Balancing tank is dirty and filled with debris.
- Supporting facilities (toilets, changing rooms) are in poor/unusable condition.
Impacts to students:
- Pool has been deemed unsafe and unusable. It is now closed until repairs are completed.
- No pool facility for the water polo team or any student to use in the near future.
- General cleaning of sand and debris.
- Repair soil settlement and cracks on the main pool structure.
- Replace the pool lining with an acceptable lining material which will be determined through open tender (specialist proposal) and assessment; either fiberglass, vinyl or tiles.
- Installation of new water intake pipe as well as internal plumbing systems.
- Repair electrical wiring and light fittings in the pool.
- Clean/repair/replace drainage and filtration systems.
- Replace broken pump sets.
- Install new chlorination system.
- Clean, repair and reinstate existing balancing tank.
- General cleaning and making good of existing facilities.